What we do
Sands exists to support anyone affected by the death of a baby, to improve the bereavement care received by parents and families, and to influence policy makers and promote research to reduce the number of babies dying.
How we do it
Below we’ve listed each team in Sands with a little information about how they contribute to achieving our core aims.
- Our Bereavement Support Helpline offers support to anyone affected by the death of a baby via email, telephone and on social media.
- Support booklets and bereavement support packs are available on request.
- Remembrance events: the annual Lights of Love and Sands Garden events are organised and anyone affected by the death of a baby can attend.
- The Sands online forum.
Improving Bereavement Care
- Bereavement Care Training for professionals and students runs throughout the year.
- Projects run with NHS England, the Department of Health and NHS Education Scotland.
- Resources for Health Professionals are produced and updated. These include: post mortem consent package, audit tool, Sands teardrop sticker, Bereavement Care Network, Sands Guidelines for Professionals.
- Conferences across the UK attended and hosted.
Networks and Volunteering
- Specialist Befriender training held and support given.
- Dedicated staff to support new Groups.
- Supporting Group volunteers with communications, troubleshooting, financial support and difficult situations.
- Building links within and across Group Networks with Network calls, Network Days and regular newsletters.
Research and Prevention
- High level lobbying and influencing all four UK governments to reduce baby deaths.
- National strategic work with the NHS and professional bodies to make maternity care safer.
- New resources such as the standardised tool to support hospital reviews of care when a baby dies; and public health messages about stillbirth risks.
- Developing Sands policy on all aspects of reducing avoidable deaths.
- Managing Sands Research Fund and collaborating with researchers across the UK to drive forward perinatal research.
Sands Research fund
- Dedicated fund to pay for vital new research to understand why babies die and how to prevent more deaths.
- Campaigning nationally for fewer baby deaths.
- Media work – making stillbirth and neonatal death headline news.
- Maintaining Sands’ digital presence through the website and social media.
- Producing regular Sands publications – enewsletter, Impact Report, Spotlight on Sands.
- Print and production of all Sands awareness raising materials for parents, the public, health professional and policy makers.
Fundraising and Events
- Support each individual through their fundraising journey – registering their event, provision of resources and materials including running vests, t-shirts, collecting buckets and tins, banners, balloons, sponsor forms and more. Also assistance with online giving and ensuring all supporters are thanked.
- Processing income, match funding applications, and dealing with other income streams, for example Charity Aid Foundation or Charities Trust. Processing and disbursements to Groups.
- Work with companies, trusts and high value donors to raise vital funds.
- Organising Sands Awareness Month and Baby Loss Awareness Week.
- Developing challenge event portfolio and securing and coordinating participation.
Finance and resources
- Financial management of Sands, including Groups.
- Oversee premises and facilities.
- Recruitment and staff support.
- Health and Safety.
- IT and technical support.
- Support to the Board and Chief Executive.